Friday, August 29, 2008

General update.

What's that you say? You want a real update? Okay.

Life's been relatively calm since coming to Japan. Started making YouTube video to update on random things, and today I created my justintv channel, in case I ever decide to stream, which I may attempt later today while cleaning my kitchen, since I know nobody will be there, haha. Without any viewers it seems kinda lame though. Dunno. I feel like I should be cursing my flatmate *L* for inadvertently getting me into this (I make frequent appearances on her channel via walking into the apartment, heh), but so far it's a fun thing. I've prevented the channel from being embedded and hopefully that will help. Also, when I switch the internet over I may find it's cheaper to get mobile internet like she has. We'll see what happens. Above all, I must do my research. ^_^

Got a new parasol/umbrella to go with my Goth Loli stuff. I always hated carrying a normal umbrella, so this is much better. Speaking of my Goth Loli stuff, the box finally showed up! Woo! Now I should ask for the winter stuff to be sent if the same timetable's going to be followed... >_<;

This past week has been like most others with some notable exceptions. First, I met some great new people, who cannot be compared to anyone I know. Second, I realized I probably will never be happy in Michigan again. I was already unhappy there to begin with but I didn't realize how unhappy until I moved here. Even without too many friends, an extremely tight budget and nearly constant cloudiness and rain, I'm much happier in this giant city than I ever was in Michigan. It's the natural progression of something I realized early on in life. When I was 10 and went to Switzerland (was in Geneva), I remember stepping onto the hotel balcony and shouting. It was an extremely happy and wordless shout. Since then I've always noticed I feel more alive in cities, but I can't pinpoint why. Of all the places in the world to feel happiest, why is it large cities that charm me? Most people are awed by nature, things like the Grand Canyon, snow-capped mountains and the like. While nature is indeed beautiful, my breath catches when I see the endless windmills of a wind farm or the urban sprawl of Tokyo from 25 floors up. When I see these things I remember someone created them, that they began as brain waves and were translated into reality by industrious people. The mind is a beautiful thing.

But I digress. Michigan has become something that represents everything I want to get away from. I'm not talking about the people there. It's a beautiful state, but over the years my view of it has been tarnished by things I don't want to remember. Now that I'm gone I can see that clearer than ever. Someday I might go back, but I think it's not for me. So where to go? To be honest, I haven't a clue. The only other US city on my list of places to go is San Francisco, but I have a rule about visiting places before moving there. ^_^ Other cities I'd like to visit: London, Nepal, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Dublin, Athens, and Kiev, to name a few. I'd also like to return to Tehran, maybe Amsterdam. In high school I had silly dreams of moving to Ireland, then in college I dreamt of moving across the country to California. Never did I think I'd move halfway around the world to Japan. It was the best decision of my life. Now I feel free enough that I think I could move anywhere, with one limitation. I need to be able to take my chinchillas with me. Of all the things I left behind, I cry about my chinchillas the most. I've set them as my desktop background and wait for the next set of photos eagerly. The next place I move has to allow me to take them.

Before moving I should probably get that masters in architecture I was planning to get, but that would require I get a job in the US and stay there for two years. After two years I might be too settled in to leave again. Not that I need to be transient for the rest of my life, but I think it's too soon to settle somewhere at "home" in the US. No doubt I'll end up back in the US, but I'd hate to feel like a caged animal. This travel bug needs to be relieved first. If it never is, well, I better find a job that requires travel. ^_^; And then I'll never have a family save for my two chinchilla boys, because who would deal with that? Too much to think about; these things will come later. Right now I'm here and happy.

Speaking of here, I need to get back to cleaning up the apartment. Finally bought a scrub brush for the kitchen floor and I need to do that before heading over to a friend's for the night. He just got a new apartment and we're gonna play video games until all hours of the morning. I'm also gonna play interior designer since he's gonna need a little help figuring out what to do with it. Huzzah.

In the meantime, while you all miss me, look at the happy seal. Soooooooo cuuuuuuuute!

No comments: